The exhibition "The Society for the Protection of Jewish Health - Fighting for a Healthy New Generation" and the accompanying catalog have been prepared in conjunction with the conference "Jews in Medicine - in the Footsteps of Maimonides," held at the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research in New York on November 6, 2005. All images are from the collections of the YIVO Archives and Library.
OZE - Obshchestwo Zdravookhraneniya Yevreyev, "The Society for the Protection of Jewish Health," was established during the Czarist period in 1912 with headquarters in St. Petersburg. Outlawed in Russia after the revolution, while having witnessed an expanision of its activities in other countries in Eastern Europe, OZE moved to Berlin in 1923. Later, the old acronym with a slight change was fitted with the new name - Oeuvre De Secour Aux Enfants (OSE), "Society for the Aid of Children." In 1933, after the Nazi takeover in Germany, OSE transferred its headquarters to Paris.
View Items from the Exhibition
- Mealtime at the TOZ summer camp in the Pospieszka suburb of Vilna, 1930s.
- Mothers and their babies in the gymnastics hall in an OSE building. Kaunus, Lithuania.
- Five Years of TOZ, 1922-1926, a book published by TOZ, edited by Dr. L Wulman, with a preface by the chairman of TOZ, Dr. G Lewin. Warsaw, 1927.
- Check-up at the Drop of Milk Station. Kaunus, Lithuania, 1936.
- Treatment room at the Jewish Hospital in Grodno, Poland, 1926.
- Children at a TOZ summer camp in a Vilna suburb sitting in formation that spells YIVO in Polish.
- Dr. Gershon Lewin, President of TOZ and Dr. Cemach Szabad, the Vilna branch chairman, at the first reorganization conference of TOZ in Warsaw, 1923.
- "We are Working for a Healthy Generation." Poster produced by OSE in Berlin with funds provided by the AJDC for dissemination in Eastern Europe, 1926.
- OSE poster on protection against tuberculosis. Berlin, 1923.
- "Fight the flies, they spread disease; maintain a clean home; cover your food" - OSE poster. Berlin, 1927.
- "Wage War on Trachoma!" OSE poster. Berlin, 1923. Poster published by OSE in Berlin in 1923, paid for by the Fund for the Relief of Jewish Victims of the War in Eastern Europe.
- Children washing teeth at the Jewish Child's House. Kaunas, 1930.
- OSE calendar for 1940 from Latvia.
- Children at the TOZ summer camp in a Vilna suburb sitting in formation that spells TOZ in Yiddish and in Polish.
- Illustrations from Maintain Good Posture, a pamphlet by Dr. I. Rubin, published by OSE with funds from the AJDC. Berlin, 1927.
- Receipt for a prescription issued by Dr. Schapiro and filled by the Free Pharmacy in Yelnia, Russia, 1903.
- A sheet of fundraising stamps for OSE/TOZ organizations.
- Advertisement of an anti-tuberculosis society.
Read the Exhibition Catalog